Happy December! It’s the most magical time of the year! ✨I hoped to have this post up a few days BEFORE the 1st, but macrame is time consuming y’all! Ever since I was a kid I have LOVED Advent Calendars. Having a tangible way to count down to the most exciting days of the year (& with chocolate nonetheless) is such a fun tradition that I still love today. This year I really wanted to try my hand at making my own that could double as a Christmas decoration!
I spent a whole lot of time walking up and down the aisles of craft and hardware stores, hoping something would jump out at me that I could use to hold the daily treats. I didn’t have a clear picture in my head but when I finally found some lipgloss containers a light bulb went off and I was sold! To make your own end-grain advent calendar you’ll need-
- 24 clear lip balm containers
- 1 wooden dowel about the same size as your little containers (I took my container to the hardware store)
- stickers for numbers 1-24; I used some planner stickers and I loved that the double digit dates were on a single sticker
- 24 ornament hooks for hanging
- something to hang your baubles from- I used a strand of macramé string lights (labor of freaking love) but I think some globe lights would be just as cute!
- a saw- this project is easy breezy with a miter saw but is also do-able with a hand saw, just a bit more work!
- hot glue gun + glue
- treats for filling! I took my container with me to the grocery store to find candies small enough
First thing first, take your dowel outside and get to sawing! I don’t have any photos of this step because it’s pretty self explanatory; just cut 24 thin slices from your dowel! If you’re doing this by hand it’s going to take you a while, but I think it’s worth it! Once you’re finished slicing and dicing and go ahead and sand the edges of your lil chips smooth.
After all of your circles are smooth you can start hot gluing the discs and hangers to the containers. It was easiest for me to glue all the lids on first and then move onto the hangers. For the hangers I found it works best if you put a glob of glue on the back and then sort of slide the hanger into it, so that it’s totally encased in glue.
Next you can start filling your containers! I actually put my date stickers on first but I’d recommend filling and closing them before stickering so that they’re perfectly lined up; it was kind of hard to get the numbers back where I wanted them after the fact!
I filled mine with a combination of candy and Christmas activities. I love the idea of an advent calendar full of fun things to do, but there’s no way I can commit to that every single day for a whole month! So I sprinkled some movies and outings throughout, which is much more manageable.
All that’s left is hanging them up on whatever you decided to hang them from! I layered my macrame lights on top of a fresh garland and I am obsessed with it! I took the easy route and hung the numbers in chronological order, but I imagine it would be fun to hunt for the date each night!
I am so happy with the way that this turned out and I can’t wait to start using it tonight! ❤️